There is nothing better than a beautiful roasted chicken with crispy skin and a hint of lemon and rosemary. I love this recipe. It's easy, impressive and amazingly tasty.
If you don't have an oven safe skillet, you can use a glass baking dish.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Rest time: 20 minutes
1 3-4 Pound whole chicken
2 Lemons cut into quarters
3 Sprigs Rosemary
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
Salt and pepper
Oven safe skillet
1. Preheat the skillet in the oven on the lower middle rack and preheat oven to 450. Take out any innards hidden in the chicken.
2. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels.
3. Lay the rosemary sprigs inside the chicken then place the lemon quarters on top. Place as many lemon quarters as can fit (usually about 6).
4. Rub the whole chicken with the olive oil then cover with salt and pepper.
5. Tie the legs together with twine so they are one on top of the other. Tuck the wings underneath the chicken so the wingtips do not burn.
6. Place the chicken, breast side up, in the oven on the hot skillet.
7. Cook for 30-35 minutes. Without opening the oven door, turn oven off and let chicken cook for another 30-35 minutes.
8. Take chicken out and let sit on a carving board for 20 minutes, un-covered.
9. Carve and serve!
To make gravy with the pan drippings:
1. Remove any large skin pieces from the drippings that stayed behind in the skillet.
2. Heat the skillet over medium high heat.
3. When the drippings reach a low boil, whisk in a tablespoon of flour until thickened.
4. Whisk in a 1/2 cup of chicken broth and season with salt and pepper.