This spicy coleslaw is the perfect addition to any BBQ or taco night. It is super easy to make and can be made ahead of time (one less component to worry about while cooking the rest of dinner!).
To save some chopping time you can buy the bag of coleslaw mix at the grocery store in place of the cabbage and carrots. However, the coleslaw mix never seems as crisp as fresh chopped cabbage and they never add enough shredded carrots.
Be sure to thinly slice all the vegetables in order to get a well balanced coleslaw. Especially take your time slicing the jalapeno and onion as they both have strong flavors and large chunks of either may be unpleasant.
This is a one-bowl-recipe so when you whisk together your liquids, make sure the "medium bowl" will be able to hold all the shredded vegetables with room to mix everything together.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Rest time 1 hour
Adapted from an America's Test Kitchen recipe
For the vinegar mixture
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
For the vegetable mix
- 1/4-1/2 head of cabbage, cored and chopped thin (about 3 cups)
- 1/4 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, shredded with a grater
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeds taken out and minced small
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1. In a medium bowl whisk together the cider vinegar, water, sugar, and salt.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients to the vinegar mixture. Mix everything together (tongs work best).
3. Let chill covered in the refrigerator for at least an hour.